Bloating isn't a medical condition. It doesn't necessarily mean that a person has eaten too much. It can be a case of eating wrong food which has not been digested by the body. Bloating occurs when air and water get trapped inside the stomach or intestine. As a result, the stomach gets swollen well past its normal level.
Culprits of Stomach Bloating
Bloating can result from a number of cases.
1. Fatty or junk foods are one of the biggest culprits of bloating. It hinders the digestion process and doesn't let the stomach empty on time. Carbohydrates too can cause bloating.
2. Consumption of excessive junk food and soft drinks can lead to bloating. Carbonated drinks can often play spoilsport. It creates bubbles in the stomach leading to indigestion and bloating.
3. Some food items related to gas include cauliflower, lettuce, hard candy, beans, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, etc.
Steps to avoid Bloating:
1. The best way to avoid bloating is to refrain from bloat causing foods as mentioned earlier. If you wear dentures (know more about dentures), it should be ensured that it fits properly. There are instances when excess air gets inside the stomach due to an improper fixture of denture leading to bloating.
2. Eating or drinking slowly is another good way of staying away from bloating. When you eat slowly, there are fewer chances of extra air getting inside the stomach. In the case of beverage consumption, avoiding the straw is a good idea. This way the unwanted air cannot make their way inside the tummy and play foul.
3. Taking a small walk after every meal is another good way of staying away from bloating. This way the gas inside the tummy cannot rise above the surface.
The practice of calming technique such as yoga, deep breathing and meditation also goes a long way in giving relief from bloating.