On this eve of Mother's day and World Ovarian Cancer day , I take this opportunity to aware all the mothers for this deadly disease. Among women, Ovarian Cancer is third most common cancer and first in causing deaths.With urbanization the prevalence of it is gradually increasing. Initial stage symptoms are very vague and hence delays diagnosis. If below mentioned symptoms persist for 3 weeks your gynecology oncologist must be consulted:
- Abdomen pain, bloating or swelling and Backache
- Indigestion,Constipation and extensive weakness
- Irregular bleeding or post menopausal bleeding
High Risk Women:
- Family history of Ovarian,Breast and Colon cancer or Past history of Breast and Colon cancer
- Infertile women, Infertility treatment and BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene mutation
- Endometriosis and women over age 50 years
Steps for Prevention:
- Women with family history must complete family early and use chemo-prevention by use of MALA pills.
- Women with gene mutations must undergo prophylactic Salpingo-Oopherectomy after completing family.
- Nutritious diet and Exercising at least 5 days a week .
- Remaining aware of changes occurring in body.