Menstruation or the vaginal bleeding that women experience every month can bring about a couple of symptoms that can be uncomfortable. This includes stomach cramps, nausea, fatigue, stomach bloating, diarrhea and mood swings.
Adding certain foods to your diet is found to play a role in easing your symptoms during this time of the month. Let’s take a look at the list of these foods.
1. Complex carbohydrates: Studies suggest that including complex carbohydrates in your diet will help in easing your symptoms during menstruation. . Carbs also help in elevating the serotonin levels.
It is a neurotransmitter that helps improve your mood and induces a sense of well-being. It is better to avoid simple carbohydrates and choose complex carbs such as beans, lentils, brown rice and oats.
2. Dark chocolate: Other than being delicious dark chocolate is also a rich source of iron and magnesium. Iron is an essential element for the production of blood cells. It also provides a magnesium boost which helps in managing other symptoms such as cramps and mood swings during menstruation.
Dark chocolate helps soothe your cravings and also helps boost your mood. You can include a small piece of dark chocolate in your meal plan during that time of the month.
3. Iron-rich food: Menstruating women can lack iron due to blood loss. Therefore it is necessary that you include iron-rich food in your diet to maintain the iron levels in the body.
Your body gets iron from the food you eat and therefore you can include foods such as meat, eggs and green leafy vegetables in your diet during menstruation.
4. Lean protein: Loading up on lean protein will help maintain your blood sugar levels and to curb your sugar cravings. Adequate protein intake can also help in relieving symptoms such as stomach cramps and fatigue.
Food that is rich in protein helps in regulating your periods and reduces the risk of abnormal menstrual cycles. It helps boost your energy levels and is beneficial for your overall health.
5. Fiber: Having a high-fibre diet will help you alleviate the symptoms during your periods such as pain and stomach cramps. Whole grains, legumes, fruits, vegetables, seeds and nuts are rich sources of fibre.
Including these foods in your diet during menstruation will help manage your symptoms and also in curbing your cravings. Fibre also helps to keep blood sugar levels in check.
While including certain food in your diet during menstruation can be beneficial, it is better that you avoid some items. These include:
1. Too much salt: Eating foods that contain too much salt can lead to bloating and water retention. Make sure that you avoid processed and fast food as they have a high salt content.
2. Fatty foods: It is better to avoid fatty foods during menstruation as they can worsen the symptoms. It can promote uterine contractions increasing stomach cramps and increasing your discomfort.
3. Alcohol: Alcohol can have a number of negative effects and it can also worsen your symptoms during menstruation. Alcoholic beverages can dehydrate you causing headaches and stomach bloating. It can also cause problems with digestion and lead to unwanted symptoms.
Disclaimer: This article is written by the Practitioner for informational and educational purposes only. The content presented on this page should not be considered as a substitute for medical expertise. Please "DO NOT SELF-MEDICATE" and seek professional help regarding any health conditions or concerns. Practo will not be responsible for any act or omission arising from the interpretation of the content present on this page.