We all know the harmful effects of the sun on our body but have we ever realized that sunlight is also considered medicine! Read on to uncover the benefits of the sun!
- Sunlight boosts your mood and prevents depression.
- It is associated with the forming of strong bones by producing Vitamin D in the body. Lack of sunlight predisposes us to Rickets and Osteoporosis and osteomalacia.
- Even for certain skin conditions like psoriasis, sun exposure is recommended by doctors.
- Teeth: Sunlight allows our bodies to produce Vitamin D which makes our teeth strong.
- Moreover, it improves brain function and also sleeps quality. It reduces Alzheimer's symptoms. It reduces the risk of certain cancers.
The main thing that we need to keep in mind in light of the Covid-19 pandemic is that sunlight boosts immunity. Studies have been conducted worldwide and the information is out that a good level of Vitamin D reduces the severity of covid symptoms and thereby reduces hospital stay.
How much sunlight do we need?
We need 5 to 10 minutes of sunlight thrice a week. If overexposure occurs, tanning and hours of sun exposure may cause skin cancers. What we have noted during this pandemic is that Children who are completely homebound are not having growth spurts, are having psychological issues, etc. Some toddlers are having issues with teeth eruption.
So I would like to encourage parents to take their children out in the sunlight and take the benefits from the sun!