This sour, creamy beverage is drunk in many parts of the world and is derived when cream is churned to produce butter, the milk that remains after the butter is churned is known as buttermilk. It contains no butter and is low in fat and calories making it good health. It contains many vitamins and minerals and has many health benefits.
Nutrition of Butter Milk Buttermilk is low on fats and calories. Being a good source of calcium and vitamins, it can included in the diet on a regular basis. Along with calcium, buttermilk is also high on proteins and the major part of energy comes from the carbohydrates present in it. Buttermilk contains good bacteria called The Lactic acid bacteria which helps in improving the immunity of the body. A cup of buttermilk contains only 2.2 g of fat and 99 calories. Buttermilk is rich in potassium, vitamin B-12, calcium, phosphorous and probiotics which is essential for the body. It is also rich in Vitamins E and K and Vitamin A along with selenium.
Health Benefits Of Buttermilk
- Buttermilk is easy to digest and is a good option for people who can not tolerate lactose.
- Buttermilk contains good bacteria that help in improving the general immunity of the body.
- Buttermilk is advised during the summer season in reducing body heat and keeping you cool.
- It is low in fat and high in carbohydrates making it a good and healthy energy source.
- Bacteria’s present in buttermilk defend the body from the harmful effects and helps protect the body against many diseases and viruses.
- The low fat content of buttermilk that makes it capable of fighting against cardiovascular diseases.
- Minerals, vitamins and probiotics help strengthen the digestive system and the immunity of the body.
- People on weight loss can include buttermilk in their diet.
- Buttermilk keeps digestive system functions going properly which reflects with the improving of the skin.