After cool winters come the scorching summers so here are some tips to enjoy the summer without affecting your health.
- Take cover, Sunburn is painful and unhealthy, Usea good sunscreen, more than SPF 50 and re-apply it frequently during the day.Also, wear a hat to keep cool and shaded. Wear light, loose-fitting clothing tohelp you stay cooler. Don't forget sunglasses to protect your eyes from thesun's UV rays. A small tip to protect the skin from tan is keep a handful ofjasmine or rose petals in water and place it in the fridge. When the skinbecomes dull, dip the cotton in that water and rub the face and the neck withthat cotton. This gives the skin a kind of relaxation and freshness to theskin.
- Heatstroke is a serious illness characterized by a bodytemperature greater then 105 degrees. Symptoms may include dry, red skin,convulsions, disorientation, and delirium. Onset of heatstroke can be rapid: aperson can go from apparently normal to seriously ill within minutes. Treatmentof heatstroke involves the rapid lowering of body temperature, using a coolbath or wet towels.
- Drink plenty of liquid - not to drink very coldor iced water/liquid.
- Eat lots of water melon, sprinkled with salt/pepper, Curd rice or buttermilk rice is best during summer. One must avoid spicy food and oily food also.
- Drink lots of tender coconut; by drinking fourcoconuts a week makes the skin glow and shine.
- Maintain your energy level by limiting yourintake of fat and sugar; Focus on carbohydrates, fruits and vegetables. Takingthe vegetables likes bottle guard, ridge gourd and so on which are grown withthe tendril are to be taken more in the daily diet.
- Eat raw onions as this is a good remedy forpeople who bleed through nose in summer, particularly children.
- The skin becomes dark and pale during this summerespecially for the people who mostly prefer pickles and non vegetarian food. Soit is better to avoid these foods and make the skin healthy.
- The lemon is to be consumed in some way or the other in the daily diet.
The feeling of thirst can be controlled by taking the butter milk which is mixed with Cumin (jeera) seeds.
- The vegetables like Cucumber, Tomato and Radish are to betaken in the diet as these maintain the moisture levels in the skin.
- Take a bath in cold water before going to bed and you are sure to get a sound sleep.