Your gut is a place with millions of bacteria. Out of these millions, some are good and some are bad. Good bacteria improve your digestion and the absorption of different nutrients in the gut. But do you know what you should eat to improve your gut bacteria? Recent research has shown that eating fiber can help improve good bacteria in your gut.
Fiber plays an important role in improving your gut bacteria. Actually, your body does not digest fiber in its original form but it acts as food to the good bacteria present in your gut. Good bacteria utilizes fiber as its source of energy for cell functioning which further leads to breakdown of fiber. Now, after breakdown, soluble fiber gets dissolved in to your system and insoluble fiber passes relatively intact. This delays the emptying of the stomach and keeps you full for longer.
Recommended intake of fiber is 35-40 grams per day. So, it is important to have a diet with sufficient fiber because if you don’t include enough fiber in your daily diet it can increase the number of bad bacteria in your gut. This further reduces the number of good bacteria and leads to painful and slow digestion, and various digestive problems.
Foods rich in fiber are lentils, black beans, peas, oats, bran flakes, whole grains, apple, and broccoli. Also, other than consuming fiber, inculcate the following habits to help improve the number of good bacteria in your gut:
- Include probiotic foods in your diet which include fermented products like yoghurt.
- Reduce the consumption of processed or refined foods as they are high in sugar, fat and other chemical substances. Their regular consumption can lead to slow digestion and cause constipation.
- Drink enough water in your day. Recommended amount is 10-12 glasses of water per day. The combination of high-fiber and water will improve your digestion.
- Include a minimum of 30 minutes of workout in your day. Exercise movements help food move through your system and improve your gut bacteria as well.
- Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol. The chemicals inside cigarettes erase all the benefits of a good diet and hinder in the absorption of nutrients.