WHAT IS ANEMIA?
Anemia is a condition which takes place when your blood lacks in producing enough of healthy red blood cells or hemoglobin. If you have less or abnormal red blood cells or your hemoglobin is abnormal or below level, the cells in your body will not get enough oxygen. Hemoglobin helps in binding oxygen and it is the main part of red blood cells.
- Pale or yellowish skin
- Irregular heartbeats
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Cold hands and feet
- POOR EATING HABITS: If one's diet is low in veggies and fruits that increases high risk of anemia as diet becomes deficit in vitamins and iron. poor eating habits can lead to deficiencies.
- MEDICAL PROBLEMS: If the individual is suffering from intestinal disorders which may hinder the absorption of nutrients and may cause anemia.
- GENDER: Females are more prone to anemia because of menstruation and also pregnancy raises risk of anemia. Pregnant females and women of reproductive age should specially take diet high in protein, iron and folic acid.
- One should eat a diet high in iron-rich foods and vitamin C to prevent low iron levels.
- Mothers should make sure to feed their babies either breast milk or iron-fortified infant formula.
- Diets high in red meat, dark leafy vegetables, dried fruits and nuts, iron-fortified cereals, or bread can prevent iron deficiency.
- One should use iron utensils for cooking food.
- Decrease intake of coffee and tea especially after meals.
- One should also consume high protein foods like dals, eggs,etc.
- If you are taking iron supplements then avoid taking them with milk.
High iron foods include:
- meat, such as lamb, pork, chicken, and beef
- beans, including soybeans
- leafy greens, such as spinach
- raisins and other dried fruit
- seafood, such as shrimp, oysters, etc
- iron-fortified cereals
Vitamin C helps your body absorb the iron rich food that you eat.
Foods rich in Vitamin C include:
- citrus fruits like oranges, grapefruit, strawberries, kiwis, guava,etc
- red and green bell peppers
- leafy greens
Consult an experienced dietitian who can help you in guiding about all the necessary vitamins and minerals from the food you eat.
Enjoy journey to health!