Back pain is one of the most common medical problems, affecting 8 out of 10 people at some point in their lives. This article is written with the intention of highlighting a few fairly simple things you can do to help achieve some level of comfort and pain relief.
- Lift right : Stand as close to the object as you can, use your legs rather than your back to bring up the object. Most injuries occur with medium weight as you are already cautious while lifting heavy weight.
- Sleep right : Sleep on sides and not stomach. when sleeping on sides, placing pillow beneath your upper facing arm and leg gives additional support. Invest in a supportive mattress and pillows.
- Stay hydrated and stop smoking : While smoking reduces blood supply to discs your intervertebral discs are vulnerable to loss of hydration as well and can begin to lose height making it prone to painful disc conditions.
- Work smart and live smarter : Make sure your work-space; whether a laptop, phone, computer desk or even your car is setup for your height and functionality. Don't stay in one position for too long, take short breaks every half hour. Avoid carrying sling bags for larger weights prefer a rucksack bag especially when on small trips.
- Right workout : Walking, swimming(mainly backstroke), and proper exercise cycling are considered good workouts for your back, while step aerobics, running, basket ball and other high impact sports are bad for you. Lifting heavy weights above shoulder levels is also not suggested.
- Weight control : Additional weight puts a strain on your back especially if it is on your tummy. Try controlling your diet and work out right to reduce weight.
Follow these few simple tips, make them your daily habit and keep that back pain worry away. Happy healing :)