1. Inform your family members and see a doctor at the earliest if you have any headache, neck stiffness, fever, etc.
2. Avoid forceful blowing of nose or cleaning of ear as they can be a source of infection.
3. In children to take vaccination for common organisms causing meningitis like Haemophilus, Neisseria etc.
4. To take proper care of any wound or injury in the head, back, mastoid region to prevent spread of infection.
5. T follow the treatment started by a GP in case of confirmed case of meningitis.