1. The white mushy film that builds up on your teeth is called plaque and is the leading cause of tooth decay. The acid eats away at the tooth enamel and, if left unattended, can lead to cavities. Plaque can be removed by brushing, flossing and regular dental cleanings.
2. Stop Tooth Loss Gum disease, which starts with built-up plaque, is a major cause of tooth loss in adults.
3. Brighten Your Smile Drinking coffee, tea and wine or using tobacco can stain your teeth. A dental cleaning can remove built-up stains and leave you with freshly polished teeth.
4. Freshen Your Breath. Good oral hygiene is the best way to prevent persistent bad breath.
5. Boost Your Overall Health Studies have shown a connection between oral and overall health. Regular dental cleanings may help lower your risk for some diseases, like heart disease and stroke.