Metabolism – the process of turning food you eat into energy for the functioning of heart, muscles and other organs.
The faster your metabolism, the more calories you burn. But sometimes due to certain habits, our metabolism slows down, affecting our weight loss goals.Here are some habits that you should avoid, to prevent a slow metabolic rate.
- Unsystematic eating scheduleSome studies found that eating low fat diets with erratic meal times lead to more weight gain than balanced, normal meals at scheduled intervals. Researchers concluded that eating at the same time every day (without very long intervals between meals) trains the body to burn more calories between meals.
- Drinking less waterA lot of calories are burnt when one remains hydrated, so drinking less water will not help you lose weight. It actually slows the metabolism of the body. One should drink at least 10-12 glasses of water in a day.
- Skipping BreakfastWhen you skip breakfast, you not only binge on your other meals but also slow down the metabolism by conserving your energy instead of burning it. So, if you are looking to boost your metabolism, then never skip breakfast.
- Infrequent sleep patternMany researchers concluded that people who sleep less put on more weight than those who get sufficient sleep. The reason is that, in a person who is sleep deprived, hormones that control appetite show a reverse effect i.e. you start eating more, which ultimately slows down your metabolism leading to weight gain. One should get 7-8 hours of sleep in a day to avoid slow metabolism.
- Constant stressedStress is one factor which is common for all unwanted health issues. There is a hormone called cortisol, which is activated due to excessive stress. This leads to fat storage in the body, which slows down the metabolism. Try to reduce stress as much as possible.