Do you ever wonder why a large section of the Indian population is struggling with belly fat? Read more on foods to fight belly fat.Have you ever noticed how every second Indian with this problem is trying some form of crash dieting and excessive exercise?

The much bigger question which people seem never seem to consider - do any of these efforts count or do they just make us think they do?

The answer might surprise you. In order to understand the origins of Indian belly fat, lets first talk about the reasons behind its existence-  

Truths from deep down your belly

Each and everyone of us have belly fat even people with flat abs. That’s not abnormal but if it crosses the permissible limit, then it affects your health in long run.This is because your body is made up of 2 kinds of fat i.e.

  • Subcutaneous fat- Fat which is found under the skin, which contain not only fatty tissues but its function also revolves around supplying oxygen to the skin and blood vessels.
  • Visceral fat- Deeper fat which covers some of the important organs like liver, pancreas and intestine.

Visceral fat’s primary role is to act as a cushion for organs. But if someone has too much of it, then it eventually starts reflecting in the form of a protruding belly, which in the long run accelerates other lifestyle diseases like diabetes, heart problems, high blood pressure and certain types of cancer.   

Here’s a list of the most common culprits which cause obesity and belly fat.

1. Lifestyle  

Which basically means your diet and frequency of doing physical activity. According to scientists, diet plays almost 80% role in maintaining everyday health. The remaining 20% falls under exercise or any  form of physical activity. So the foods which are comprised of high fat and sugar must be consumed in limited quantities. 

Having said that, apart from these two factors, there is one more thing that contributes to belly fat- Stress. When we stress, a hormone called cortisol gets released in our body. Cortisol is primary responsible for making you binge eat, and in turn giving you belly fat. The three things which you must now do are-

  • Avoid fried and processed foods like chips, biscuits, fries, pizzas etc.
  • Make a promise to yourself to meditate daily for at least 15 minutes.
  • 30 minutes of workout, just 5 days a week will do wonders for your body. Don’t believe me? Try it yourself.

2. Genes

We know that each individual is born with different genetics. Based on those, there are two kinds of body types- apple and pear shaped.Get more information on kind of body types and their effect on health.

Apple shaped people have more waist circumference ratio as compared to their hip. Most men generally have an apple shaped body type. Plus this possibility can also be inherited from your parents.

So your chances of getting a pot belly are also strongly related to whether people in your family have it too or not!

3. Excessive alcohol intake and smoking

We all know drinking and smoking are bad for health. But the empty calories in them can also contribute in the development of pot bellies in most of Indians. All these factors combined will also eventually trigger major health problems in an individual that could be unmanageable in the long run.Read more on does drinking alcohol cause man boobs? 

Now that we know all the reasons for India being more susceptible to the pot belly, let’s put an end to the tradition. Let’s start working on these problems and make our lives healthier, longer and worth living!