PCOD/PCOS is a combination of symptoms produced by imbalance in the hormones (fall in female hormones and hike in male hormones) in the female. The imbalance of hormone causes irregularity in periods and sometimes even amenorrhoea (absence of menses). Further there is no release of egg (due to increase in levels of male hormone/ androgens) and cysts are formed on the periphery of the ovaries. Due to high male hormones there in thinning of hair of scalp and hairiness on other body parts.
In PCOS, insulin resistance may also be seen which does not let insulin act in the body and cause increase in levels of glucose which may further stimulate the body to produce more insulin to combat high levels of glucose in the body. These high levels of insulin would cause ovaries to produce more androgens/ male hormone (testosterone). This would further exaggerate the symptoms in the female.
Few tips and dietary management with change in the lifestyle of the patient can help her fight with the symptoms of PCOS:
- Regular physical exercise is essential to get rid of rigid weight gain of PCOS.
- Being physically active would also help to fight with insulin resistance thus would help in management of symptoms of PCOS.
- Meditation and yoga would help the mind and body to relax as PCOS may cause stress. Thus meditation and yoga would help in keeping the physical and mental stress low.
- To fight with the insulin resistance high fibre diet should be taken as it is going to slow down the digestion and thus sugar levels would not rise suddenly. Food items like broccoli, cauliflower, sprouts, lettuce, arugula leaves, bell peppers, beans, berries, zucchini, almonds, sweet potato, pulses, etc. are rich in fibres and are good for the patient of PCOS.
- Another dietary change that one should do is to take light food which is filling and don’t give much calories such as tofu, chicken, fish etc
- Food items that have anti inflammatory properties (tomatoes, spinach, strawberries, blueberries, olive oil, etc.) would also help the patient of PCOS.
- Refined carbohydrates should be avoided as they are going to exaggerate the symptoms by aggravating the insulin resistance. Food items like white bread, muffins, potatoes, white flour etc should be avoided.
- Refined sugar should be avoided.
- Eat large breakfast and cut down your dinner to small amount.
- Low carbohydrate diet is advisable as it would help in losing weight and would manage the androgen levels also.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Keep the intake of dairy products low.
Besides the above tips to manage the symptoms of PCOS, a regular check-up is recommended to keep a check on PCOS.