Brown rice the name itself is self explanatory. Let us understand one thing clearly,our very own white rice once upon a time looked like brown rice and the sole reason behind it is the presence of husk and bran. Unlike brown bread brown rice is not coated with dye and hence it is healthy.
The white rice we eat is sans the husk and bran which means it has been processed and polished. Brown rice on the other hand has an array of nutrients namely protein, calcium, thiamine, magnesium, potassium, fiber and selenium unlike white rice.
So here are some simple reasons why you need to make friends with Mr. Brown :)
Below are 10 benefits of brown rice in a nutshell-
- Looking to lose weight? Then you need to try brown rice for sure because it can aid in weight loss and shall maintain the weight to optimum.
- It contains a storehouse of Fiber which can aid in keeping you full for longer duration and keep the sugar cravings at bay. Fiber helps in good bowel movement and studies have shown that it can lower the blood sugar and cholesterol levels drastically.
- Just like fruits and vegetables it has been endowed with antioxidants which can fight free radicals formed in the body due to various physical and environmental reasons.
- It is a source of slow releasing sugar which is why it is apt for diabetics. Hence it can basically stabilize blood sugar levels and prevent instant insulin spikes which can be easily caused by the consumption of white rice.
- It is a great source of selenium which can keep you away from heart diseases and various cancers.
- Feeling stressed then do consume a bowl of brown rice. Reason? Brown rice is a great source of manganese which is also known to be a stress reliever.
- It has been blessed with natural oils which can help in reducing the levels of cholesterol and hence prevent its buildup in the bloodstream.
- Due to the presence of calcium it is great for bone health. So if you are looking to strengthen your bones then stock on some brown rice in the kitchen and reap its numerous benefits.
- Brown rice is low in calories and prevents weight gain.
- Brown rice cannot only boost your metabolism but it can also help in strengthening the immune system.
So, brown rice can be a perfect addition to your daily diet.
What can be prepared using brown rice ?
You can prepare the following with brown rice-
- Brown rice veggie Pulav
- Brown rice Khichdi
- Brown rice chicken/paneer Biryani
- Vegetable and bean Risotto
- Brown rice spinach/carrot dosa
- Brown rice Rawa Idlis
- Brown rice Fried rice with loads of veggies
- Brown rice and corn salad
- Brown rice and Dates kheer.
SAY YES TO A HEALTHY YOU!!!