Tears in Meniscus & ACL

Hello Doctor, I am from Hyderabad and came to know from MRI report that there are tears in my left knee at medial,lateral meniscus and ACL. Here, is the impression comments given in my MRI report:- 1. Oblique tear in posterior horn of medial Meniscus 2. Grade II horizontal tear in posterior horn of lateral meniscus 3. ACL appears bulky with intrasubstance hyperintensities, full thickness mid substance tear, retraction of torn ends and mild laxity of PCL. I am having 40 years. I approached 2 orthopedic doctors, the first doctor suggested to undergo arthroscopy surgery for ACL and both Meniscus repairs. But, second doctor said that surgery is required for Meniscus (either suture or clean of tear part) as my lifestyle is related to IT software activities and normal life style. Attached MRI report for your reference. Can these meniscus tears will heal themselves with out surgery? Please provide your suggestion on next steps.

Doctor Answers (4) on Tears in Meniscus & ACL

Dr. Vishwas Virmani Noida | Physiotherapist
Avoid sitting Cross legged. Avoid Squatting- Quadriceps Exercises- Lie straight, make a towel role and put it under the knee, press the keen against the role, hold it for 20 secs. Repeat 20 times twice a day. This will help relieve some pain. Core Strengthening Exercise- Straight Leg Raised With Toes Turned Outward, repeat 10 times, twice a day. Hams Stretching- lie straight, take the leg up, pull the feet towards yourself, with a elastic tube or normal belt. repeat 10 times, twice a day. Sports Taping- stretch the tape from both ends and apply on the affected area Contrast Fomentation (Hot and Cold).
Dr. Parag Patil Nagpur | Orthopedic Surgeon
Meniscal tears do not heal by themselves (except when they are in the peripheral area which has good blood supply - only 10-15℅ of cases). The real concern with meniscal tears is the risk of progression of the tear. Menisci are important load bearing structures and must be preserved as far as possible to prevent early knee arthritis. Arthroscopic partial meniscectomy for "balancing" both menisci is advisable in your case. As regards ACL it is decided on your activity level and many other factors. Please PM me if you wish to discuss further.
Looking at u r reports arthroscopy looks to be inevitable to avoid any early arthritic changes, conservative changes may not be much productive, and more so if you feel u r knee going unstable which u havent disclosed i belive... plz follow up wid u r surgeon and let them decide..
Dr. Vijay Bathina Hyderabad | Clinical Physiotherapist
Hi...menisci won't heal on its own..during the arthroscopic surgery your your will decide ..how to go about with Ligament tear. Benefits of surgery would you can prevent early arthritis changes and you can resume normal active lifestyle style