Swelling in ankles
My mother usually develops swelling in ankles mostly after travelling. I am concerned if this is serious and related to any heart problem? Please guide.

Dr. Vishwas Virmani (PT)
Physiotherapist 20 yrs exp Noida

Stretch Calves Get a custom made insole. Hams Stretching. Sports Taping. .use ice pack
Dr. Sharath Kumar
Rheumatologist 15 yrs exp Bangalore

Blood which flows form the heart to the leg is pumped back to the heart from the muscles in the leg. When we are sitting for prolonged periods the blood remains in the leg and is not pumped back. the persistent blood in the leg does cause mild swelling of the ankle. this is a normal and more prominent in women and hence nothing to worry about . If the swelling persists even when walking or standing or in case there is  major swelling then it requires further evaluation.  Hope this helps reduce some of your anxiety. Sharath
Dr. Amarpreet Singh Riar
General Physician 11 yrs exp Delhi

Could be many reasons. Get KFT,LFT , ECHO done. Need a consultation with physician in person