Doctor Answers (9) on Protruding teeth
Either go for ceramic braces, or clear aligners like night guards, depending on your case.
(2) if this protrusion has happened in recent years , that means u have gum problem ( periodontal disease) u need to get it cleared first.
(3) if u had this thing since years, then u will have to shed some money for orthodontist. Metal braces are comparatively inexpensive than ceramic. But the metal wire will be seen in either case.
(4) lingual braces: orthodontist places wires behind you tooth, the metal things are not seen as before. But u might have trouble in speaking.
(5) Ortho treatment usually extends till 8months or an year, depending upon your decree of protrusion if ur dentist says that, your treatment will go for shorter time, u can stick to metal one.
(6) make time, meet an orthodontist, he/she will tell you the best treatment and cost accordingly. Also ask about orthognathic surgeries.
Thank you for your question. This is a very common problem. Due to increasing age, this will become only more uncomfortable with time. But with modern day treatment, we can find a solution to cure it.
Generally, there are 2 methods of doing it.
The first and foremost way is to get braces which you definitely dont want to.
Braces are a good option because there is maximum conservation of your healthy teeth. I am sure you are against braces because of its metal wires and how they wont be cosmetically unappealing. But, In today's practice, braces are esthetically better. We can use invisible braces called invisalign braces. We make a sequence of aligners which look like a thin covering over your teeth, that slowly, within a year and a half, straighten your teeth. The treatment time depends upon the degree your problem.
The second option is using veneers or crowns/bridges. Veneers are coverings made to hide your malpositioned teeth. The treatment time for this is approximately a month. It is a quicker but a little costlier way. Crowns and bridges require more part of your teeth to be reduced and thus your natural and healthy tooth structure is lost.
In my opinion, invisalign is the best and most appropriate for your case. Pls search more about it and do visit in case you plan for the treatment.
Dr. Kanika Mago Sharma