Protein Intake daily

Im a vegetarian, and have little protein in my diet - except pulses like daal/sprouts.. Im a little allergic to milk on its own, eggs and chicken, soya so I avoid these... Not too allergic but I feel better when I dont have them.... My doctor suggested protein supplements and asked to consult a nutritionist for details. So can I take protein supplements like shakes etc - how much and how often?
views-icons 53 Views bookmarks-icon 1 Bookmark Bookmark this Answer

Doctor Answers (2) on Protein Intake daily

Dr. Farheen Hyderabad | Dietitian/Nutritionist
Hai, I would suggest you to go for to rely still on diet source of protein and still if you are at lesser side, then start with supplements. I never ask my patients directly to go for a supplement,but if that is mandatory, then we cant restrict.But nutrients from diet are natural sources and have no side effects. I will give you few more variety for protein sources. May be that would help you out if not you start with your supplement. And do let me know the results.Eating quinoa often is a good idea. You can make quinoa salads, or use instead of rice for a higher protein whole-grain at lunch and dinner. It can also be served in place of oatmeal at breakfast. pumpkin seeds are a great grab-and-go snack or topping for salads and soups and a good source of protein too. Nuts and seeds can be high in calories and fat, so be mindful of your serving sizes. Dried black beans, kidney beans, lentils, chickpeas, and pinto beans are all delicious choices for low-fat, fiber-filled protein. spread peanut butter on toast instead of butter and jam for more protein in your morning routine. Just try to incorporate these foods along with your routine diet and it really makes difference.
Ms. Keya Mukherjee Jamnagar | Dietitian/Nutritionist
Hello! Sure you should try lactose free protein powder. But best to consult a Nutritionist personally. Wish you good health.