Negative thoughts

Hi ! I am a working Professional. My trouble is that I get a lot of negative thoughts and too much thoughts which are sometimes not in my control. This hampers my day to day life to some extend. This problem started when i was 12 years old. My School grades got affected as my performance was deteriorating class by class. I get bad and negative thoughts regarding my future , about some existing situation. How to overcome this problem and lead a normal life. i try to meditate but cannot get myself to do it everyday.

Doctor Answers (4) on Negative thoughts

Dr. Bhupinderjit Kaur Waraich Chandigarh | Addiction Psychiatrist
Just as there are clouds in the sky which come and go, thoughts come and go. Meditation teaches one to observe the thoughts and bring ones attention back to one s breathing. Try to fix a time of the day for thoughts. At that time write out 2-3 of your thoughts. During the day try to catch your thoughts and day out loud to them- Not now, I'll come back to you at 8 pm. Take 2 deep breaths, Count 10-1 backwards slowly and day out to yoursel- Relax, Take it easy. Keep working on it. It takes time
Ms. Hema Sampath Bangalore | Clinical Psychologist
What was the major situation or event which pushed to self doubt yourself?
Was it the situation or surround people around you ?!!
There is always reason behind every behaviour in the present.  So do consult a psychological Counsellor in Jr city and get a clarity on these issues.
Dr. Bevin S Chennai | Psychiatrist
Well getting repetitive thoughts which are not in your control from any very early age in a working professional is strongly in favour of an obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD). Getting bad thoughts about future and self also is a part of OCD. These symptoms usually maintain a waxing and waning course with symptoms worsening during stressful situations. These symptoms you have described can also be a part of depression or other anxiety disorders but are highly unlikely from an early age of 12.
Kindly consult a psychiatrist who can help you. It is not possible for human mind to stop thought and emotion by meditation easily.
Avoid meditation to stop those thoughts,for now because it can worsen the situation and increase the stress in you. You can practice a simple zen technique of counting your breath for a minute or so to get relieved. Be Relaxed stay healthy.
Dr. Kavita Sagarkar Mumbai | Psychiatrist
Hi, there are many more details that will be necessary before we can come to a diagnosis, which is very important as far as treatment is concerned. You have negative thoughts, too many thoughts and negative thoughts regarding future and some existing situations. This could be part of Depression/ Dysthymia or Anxiety disorder with Depression or Anxiety disorder. As it is affecting you , I will suggest you consult a Psychiatrist. Once a diagnosis is reached, a treatment plan can be worked out. Mostly you may not require medication. You will benefit greatly from counseling or therapy. In the meantime make some lifestyle changes and changes in your perceptions about yourself and things around you. Appreciate your strengths, focus on the good that is happening in your life. See yourself as a strong person who can definitely get rid of this habit. Hang out with people who make you feel good . Exercise daily, it helps release feel good hormones. Eat small meals regularly, eat healthy. Sleep adequately. Hope this helps, All the best!