Trouble_in_falling asleep

From past few years i am having trouble for falling asleep. The general timing of me falling asleep has become 4a.m. and i am quite worried for the same. I have tried physical exercises and stuff but still didn't work.

Doctor Answers (1) on Trouble_in_falling asleep

Dr. Sugandha Gupta Delhi | Psychiatrist
Hello, disturbed sleep can be a manifestation of many medical, neurological, psychological or psychiatric disorders. It would be important for you to get a comprehensive assessment of the sleep related disorder, and related illnesses. You can consult a nearby psychiatrist for an in depth assessment. I am providing you some general tips for sleeping, also known as sleep hygiene. You can practice them in the meanwhile to help you sleep better.. 1. The most important sleep hygiene measure is to maintain a regular wake and sleep pattern seven days a week. 2.It is also important to spend an appropriate amount of time in bed, not too little, or too excessive. 3. Avoid napping during the day. It can disturb the normal pattern of sleep and wakefulness 4. .Avoid stimulants such as caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol too close to bedtime. While alcohol is well known to speed the onset of sleep, it disrupts sleep in the second half as the body begins to metabolize the alcohol, causing arousal. 5. Exercise can promote good sleep. Vigorous exercise should be taken in the morning or late afternoon. A relaxing exercise, like yoga, can be done before bed to help initiate a restful night's sleep. 6. Food can be disruptive right before sleep.  Stay away from large meals close to bedtime. Also dietary changes can cause sleep problems, if someone is struggling with a sleep problem, it's not a good time to start experimenting with spicy dishes. And, remember, chocolate has caffeine. 7.Ensure adequate exposure to natural light. This is particularly important for older people who may not venture outside as frequently as children and adults. Light exposure helps maintain a healthy sleep-wake cycle. 8.Establish a regular relaxing bedtime routine. Try to avoid emotionally upsetting conversations and activities before trying to go to sleep. Don't dwell on, or bring your problems to bed. 9. Associate your bed with sleep. It's not a good idea to use your bed to watch TV, listen to the radio, or read. 10. Makesure that the sleep environment is pleasant and relaxing. The bed should be comfortable, the room should not be too hot or cold, or too bright. Hope this helps you, and please consult a psychiatrist for thorough evaluation.. Thanks