Swollen legs
Hi, I have swollen legs throughout the day. At night when I put a pillow below my legs the swelling reduces a bit. I don't have any pain but the swollen legs look like I am pregnant but I am not. I do lot of physical exercise too. Can you please help

Dr. Priyanka Bhati (PT)
Physiotherapist 16 yrs exp Faridabad

Hello friend For your problem of swollen legs I would advice you to go for complete examination so as to rule out the exact cause and get proper treatment.
Dr. Chaitanya Ulhas Mantri
Geriatric OT 10 yrs exp Mumbai

Hi...I would like to ask you are your legs swollen due prolong standing or do you stand a lot? Is your weight increased ? Find out with your physician whether you are having Hypertention??? This is to ruleout presence of any cariovascular disorder... lastly findout whether your excercise pattern involves toomuch standing or too much walking or excessive workout over tredmill .... Feel free to contact ...will help you in this respect
Dr. Rajiv Mehta (PT)
Physiotherapist 18 yrs exp Delhi

Swelling in leg can be cured by intermittent pneumatic pressure therapy. Also reason of swelling should be found out. For this visit an experienced, qualified and registered physiotherapist he will help u.  Know us more at www.physiotherapistdelhi.in
Dr. Vishwas Virmani (PT)
Physiotherapist 20 yrs exp Noida

Keep your leg raised while sitting or lying Quadriceps strengthening exercises- Quad Clenches: Lie flat on your back or sit upright on a chair with leg kept horizontally on another surface. Now, tighten the muscle on the front of the thigh by pushing your knee down. You should feel your thigh muscles clench, Hold for 3 secs. Repeat 10 times twice a day. Short Arcs: Lie flat on your back or sit upright with your leg placed horizontally on a flat surface like a chair or bed. Place a rolled up towel under the knee. Pull your toes towards you and clench you thigh muscles. Slowly lift your foot up off the bed until your knee is straight (keep your knee resting on the towel). Hold for 3 secs and slowly lower them on the chair. Repeat 10 times twice a day. Straight Leg Raise: Lie flat on your back. One leg and knee will be straight and other leg should be bent. Pull your toes towards you and tighten/clench the muscle on the front of the thigh, locking your knee straight. Lift your foot up in the air, about 6 inches off the bed. Hold for 3 secs and slowly lower the leg. The knee must remain straight the whole time you are doing this exercise.
Dr. Saurabh Bhalla
Occupational Therapist 6 yrs exp Delhi
Greetings to you ma'am, Swelling of legs can be because of varied reasons. As you said that you do a lot of physical exercise (which would include walking, hopefully) therefore, a swelling should not be there. Causes of swelling of legs (calf area) include: 1. Immobility (negated as you do walking, and are not immobile for long time(2-3Hrs.)) 2. Varicose veins (caused when prolong standing in a particular posture is present) look for visible veins over skin area (Criss- Cross / linear bluish-green lines over skin of legs) 3. Renal problems (impaired kidney function ) can result in swollen legs - check the amount and frequency of urination before going to nephrologist for a consultation 4. Infection some types of microbial infections caused post injury may also result in same.
if immobility is the cause i reccomend you to constantly move your foot in upward and downward directions once in every 10 minutes. so as the blood is flown properly through the circulation
if that is not helping kindly arrange a visit to general physician /(or) nephrologist/ (or) cardiologist according to the cause identified . in most cases a simple blood test would be able to identify infection or kidney function. in case of varicose a doppler test may be indicated. STAY HEALTHY
Dr. Prabhat Gupta (PT)
Physiotherapist 8 yrs exp Gurgaon
Hello, I would recommend to check your kidney profile, all blood examination, and u can also do some ankle strengthening exercises.
Ms. Sonam Yogeshsingh Chauhan
Occupational Therapist 11 yrs exp Mumbai
Hello,  do you have any medical history? I would recommend you to have complete blood examination including thyroid test and lipid profile. You should also do colour doppler. With all done visit physician.