Sprain in the neck

This has never happened before. While having a bath, I felt a nerve pull in my neck. I was not able to move my shoulder, bend down. After massage i am fine. But minor pain exists. What do i do. What seems to be the cause?

Doctor Answers (3) on Sprain in the neck

Dr. Anil Reddy Hyderabad | Physiotherapist
Apply hot water bag its gives effective results
Dr. Dinesh Yadav Delhi | Clinical Physiotherapist
Pain is due to weakness in the muscle of the affected area due to sudden pull it's takes 3 to 4 days to settle itself as u have done massage it had reduced the swelling ad pain but effected area is weak so do some neck strengthing exercise.
Dr. Raviraj Francis Mumbai | Physiotherapist
Hello there....neck muscle strain are quit common...usually they happen bcos of faulty position of neck during sleep or sustained neck activity like while driving or working on computer screen...also as you mentioned a sudden twist n turn movement of neck while taking bath (similar to sports activity neck strain) is also common.... let me assure you there is nothing to worry its a acute pain and usually goes in 2 to 3 days...now do follow my advice on what to do to get relief. 1)Do icing (ice bag or crushed ice in plastic bag wrapped in a towel over the affected part.repeat every 2 hrs for first 24 hrs....and 4 hourly after that. 2)you can take medicine which has thiococolcoside or serratiopeptidase in it for a 3 day course however this is a prescription medicine and you can't get it without one. 3)pain relieveing gel to be applied or hot water formentation can be done after 2 days period.... dont mix cold and hot treatment. 4)avoid unnecessary neck movements and overhead activities for 3 days. 5)take proper rest during this time. You should be completely fine after 72 hrs (as most of my patients) Take care ....do get back to me regarding any query. Regards.