Post ankle fracture ankle

I had ankle fracture 5 months bak n used a cast for it. No surgery. Now its cured but sumtyms i get pain n swelling. Consulted ortho n they said no workout fr 1 year n no physio or treatment reqd. Shld i ise crib bandage, anklet,ankle binder or ankle braces fr complete recovery and to start workout again?
views-icons 98 Views bookmarks-icon 1 Bookmark Bookmark this Answer

Doctor Answers (2) on Post ankle fracture ankle

Thanks for asking me to respond. Fractures take around 4 to 6 weeks to heal and another 6 weeks to regain strength like normal bone. You are way beyond that time so you must be able to return to normal activities. The persistent pain could be due to stiffness in the ankle joint. If that's the case returning to workout in a phased manner should get you back to normal activity. Visit a good physio for an exercise regimen. If fracture has healed and you don't have accompanying ligament injury then you don't need ankle support in the form of braces or binders. Crepe bandage will help only if you have swelling around the joint. If pain persists inspite of exercises you may need to visit an ortho surgeon. He may prescribe an MRI to determine if there was any cartilage injury that doesn't show up on xrays. Good luck!
Sharath Kumar K N Mandya | General Physician
Hello, please follow as your doctor advised,, as he know your condition better than us. Work out before complete recovery will cause further and permanent damage to your ankle. Yes you can use crape bandage it will help you to recover faster,, after you feel better, consult your doctor before beginning your workout.