Ovarian cysts

I have this problem of ovarian cysts for the last three years. I had gained a lot of weight initally, beacuse of improper fitness routine and diet. So, i went to a gynae who gave me three month medicines for the same. I stopped taking those aleopathic medicines after a month and started losing weight. I lost around 17 kgs, so from 73 to 55 kgs in 6 months by aerobics, and playing badminton. I live in a hostel, so food is all what we get in hostel mess. But, i do have milk, nuts, fruits. I dont drink or smoke. I am a vegetarian.

Doctor Answers (1) on Ovarian cysts

Sagar KS Bangalore | General Physician
Hi, The ovaries are two small organs located on either side of the uterus in a woman’s body. They make hormones, including estrogen, which trigger menstruation. Every month, the ovaries release a tiny egg. The egg makes its way down the fallopian tube to potentially be fertilized. This cycle of egg release is called ovulation. Cysts are fluid-filled sacs that can form in the ovaries. They are very common. They are particularly common during the childbearing years. There are several different types of ovarian cysts. The most common is a functional cyst. It forms during ovulation. That formation happens when either the egg is not released or the sac,follicle in which the egg forms does not dissolve after the egg is released.other types are Polycystic ovaries: In polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), the follicles in which the eggs normally mature fail to open and cysts form.Endometriosis: In women with endometriosis, tissue from the lining of the uterus grows in other areas of the body. This includes the ovaries. It can be very painful and can affect fertility. Cystadenomas: These cysts form out of cells on the surface of the ovary. They are often fluid-filled.Dermoid cysts:This type of cyst contains tissue similar to that in other parts of the body. That includes skin, hair, and teeth. Symptoms are Pain or bloating in the abdomen,Difficulty urinating, or frequent need to urinate,Dull ache in the lower back Pain during sexual intercourse,Painful menstruation and abnormal bleeding Weight gain,Nausea or vomiting. Treatment:Most ovarian cysts will go away on their own. If you don't have any bothersome symptoms, especially if you haven’t yet gone through menopause, your doctor may advocate ''watchful waiting.'' But the doctor will check you every one to three months to see if there has been any change in the cyst. Surgery is an option if the cyst doesn’t go away, grows, or causes you pain. There are two types of surgery: 01)Laparoscopy uses a very small incision and a tiny, lighted telescope-like instrument. The instrument is inserted into the abdomen to remove the cyst. This technique works for smaller cysts. 02)Laparotomy involves a bigger incision in the stomach. Doctors prefer this technique for larger cysts and ovarian tumors. If the growth is cancerous, the surgeon will remove as much of the tumor as possible. This is called debulking. Continue your aerobics and regular excersise, avoid taking high calorie diet. Consult your obstetrician and gynaecologist for furthur care and evaluation.