Muscle pull

Yesterday in gym I got muscle pull in my neck and right shoulder. Since then, I am hav excruciating pain if I try to move my neck or shoulder to a certain angle. I took Cronin pain relief in afternoon but no effect. Aftr dinr took a Muscle relaxant but to no effect. Took one more an hr ago still no effect. what to do?

Dr. Raviraj Francis
Sports and Musculoskeletal Physiotherapist 7 yrs exp Mumbai

Hello there muscle pull is a very common occourance during workout.... initial 72 hrs after the injury are important so as to minimise the damage.... also weather it is a purely muscular or tendo-muscular injury the prognosis will depend on that..... for the timebeing.... what you need to do is...... 1)Stop gymming for a week. 2)cold pack application over the area atleast 5-7 times a day to minimise swelling. 3)since you have mentioned that pain suppressing medicationas are not beneficial hence you can opt for any pain suppresing spray which includes diclofinac and menthol..... 4)even after 3 days if you dont feel decrease in symptoms then you should get yourself checked at any walk in Physio/ortho OPD. Hope this benefits you...do resort back to me if you have any queries.
Vipsa Gupta
Clinical Physiotherapist 9 yrs exp Gurgaon
Hi, according to information given suggest you..as you got pull yesterday...have cold pack at a site of muscle pull for 5 min..Dnt appy directly on bare skin..avoid overhead activities and carrying heavy weight ..please check it soon with ortho or physiotherapist..As muscle pull can be tricky sometime and need a though examination ..Also Stop Gym for while thanks