Muscle pull at herniaspot

3 weeks back I pulled a muscle/nerve close to upper groin and thigh region. I initially thought it was a muscle pull. Finally day before yesterday I decided yo get it checked through an orthopedist and he said that I have damaged a muscle at my hernia spot. He recommended me to take rest till 3 months such that I recover, if not then I should get it checked again. My question is that whether it would actually take this long for it to heal or I should just visit a hospital and get it diagnosed properly because the pain though is not much but while sleeping if I stretch my legs I feel it and its disturbing.

Doctor Answers (4) on Muscle pull at herniaspot

Dr. Raviraj Francis Mumbai | Physiotherapist
Hello there,,,it seems you have what we call commonly as groin strain....dont worry it is fairly common injury in athletes...but it is also important to know the severity of your strain...some strains with minimal discomfort usually heal by a weeks time...while some may require more than 10 weeks....also you wont feel much discomfort in your daily activity with it...but if u start a sudden movement like running behind a moving train/bus or playing sports which requires lower leg explosive movements like basketball aur other jumping activities it will give u pain and discomfort....for the time being apply ice over the area for at least 5 times a day for minimum 15 mins also avoid lifting heavy weights and prolong travels...OTC medication for pain and swelling if at all is there can be taken...and yes rest ie not straining your pulled area is important..so take it easy for the time being and after 7 days self evaluate yourself.

Hope this puts you at ease....if any questions do resort back.

Regards & take care.

You have to understand that this area of body is at work even during sleep. The abdominal muscles move with each breath. Plus no belt or plaster can be given. The only option is to consciously avoid exertion, lifting weight, travel. Try to rest and it will be fine. I hope u are on some analgesics.
Dr. Deepak Tamrakar (PT) Raipur | Sports and Musculoskeletal Physiotherapist
Groin pain recovery depends upon the severity you have. You don't have to worried. Consult sports physiotherapist as this injury very commenly seen in sports player.
Dr. Madhusudhan.H.R Mysore | Orthopedic Surgeon
Because you are not on splint or any form of immobilisation it will take that time rest meaning only routine activity no exertional activity like running dancing etc take it slow you will be fine