Mood swings

I have been experiencing abnormal mood swings since i was 15-16 years old. It resulted in me feeling really down at times and unreasonably happy at others. I used to smoke a lot of weed in college as it made me feel better when I was feeling sad or depressed. But recently I moved to a new city for a new job and I haven't smoked in a while. This has caused me to be really depressed and I can't seem to concentrate on anything. I am also having trouble remembering things. I seem to be having a blank mind where I can't seem to get any words out of my mouth. Other times I have so many things to say that what I end up saying doesn't make any sense. My sleep pattern is also affected. Is there any kind of therapy available for whatever I have because I don't want to go back to smoking marijuana on a daily basis as it interferes with my life ?
views-icons 103 Views bookmarks-icon 1 Bookmark Bookmark this Answer

Doctor Answers (3) on Mood swings

Ms. ANKITA JAIN Vadodara | General Physician
Hello. Follow the steps to get correct diagnosis and treatment. Consult a Psychiatrist for a medical check-up, which may entail blood tests and psychiatric analysis. The specialist will reach a diagnosis and then prescribe you medicines (if need be) or refer you to a Clinical Psychologist for further interventions, based on diagnosis.
Ms. Hema Sampath Bangalore | Clinical Psychologist
Definitely a psychiatric treatment would help you along with counselling to boost your low self esteem and get back those enthusiastic feeling in your life. Seek an expert in the city where you live now.. don't worry
Dr. Akhil Chopra Jalandhar | Neuropsychiatrist
Your present symptoms are suggestive of ' Amotivational syndrome ' a condition seen in cannabis withdrawal. You need to modify your lifestyle, change your sleeping pattern. Seek psychotherapy. Consult a psychiatrist who ll help u cope up with it & may add an antidepressant if required.