Mental stress

Hi I'm going through so much stress and fear... Need urgent help... As I'm a mother of a 4month... And living with my husband...whole day I face so much stress and keep on fearing and thinking abt what if there will be some attacks in my building how I will b able to save my baby pls help

Doctor Answers (2) on Mental stress

Dr. Anjendra R Targe Pune | Psychiatrist
Hello,

Let me assure you that your fears are not unfounded. We live in an environment currently, where there is constant news of some ghastly actvity happening around the globe. What you might be going through can be termed as PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder).

You might wonder, how is that happenig to me, since I haven't gone through any direct trauma. But a lot of research has shown that, even wwatching the coverage of these horrible events like the terrorist attaks on the TV, or reading about them in the news papers, or social media, has as much, or even more impact, than on the people who have actually witnessed the event.

So what you need to do, is stop watching news, or any other media that depicts such event. Media today thrives on sensationalism, but ignore the impacts of such negativity in people's lives. So stop watching all of that. Instead, indulge yourself in watching, reading and doing positive things, like meeting your friends, watching comedy sitcoms, listening to soothing music. Discuss your fears with your partner.

And in spite of the above tips not helping, consult with a Psychiatrist or a Psychologist. They will devise the right managemnt strategy specific to your fears. Since you are pregnant, this is even more vital. DO NOT ignore your symptoms and seek timely help.

Good luck!

Harisha N L Bangalore | General Physician
Your doctor or a mental health provider may suggest medications or behavior therapy or both to treat phobias. Most adults don't get better on their own and may require some type of treatment. The goal of phobia treatment is to reduce your anxiety and fear and to help you better manage your reactions to the object or situation that causes them.
Talking with a trained mental health professional can help you deal with your phobias.Several types of psychotherapy, also called talk therapy, may be effective.
Desensitization or exposure therapy focuses on changing your response to the object or situation that you fear and may be helpful for phobias. Gradual, repeated exposure to the cause of your phobia may help you learn to conquer your anxiety. For example, if you're afraid of elevators, your therapy may progress from simply thinking about getting into an elevator, to looking at pictures of elevators, to going near an elevator, to stepping into an elevator. Next, you may take a one-floor ride, then ride several floors and then ride in a crowded elevator.
Cognitive behavioral therapy involves exposure combined with other techniques to learn ways to view and cope with the feared object or situation differently.You learn alternative beliefs about your fears and the impact they have on your life. There's special emphasis on learning to develop a sense of mastery and control of your thoughts and feelings...Consult nearest psychiatrist they will help you further
Regards