Left shoulder anterior dislocation
My husband's left shoulder got dislocated three weeks back. He has completed three weeks in prescribed sling. Doctor further advised for surgery. This is the first event of dislocation. But he has previous histories of muscle twist while playing sports. We have not taken any MRI yet. Please advise

Hello dear 3 weeks is a good time for the bone swelling to settle down.. Get an MRI for him to look at labral tears and bone defects if any. Need for surgery can only be decided based on mri findings Regards Dr Vipin Gupta
Consult with MRI films and report
You need to elaborate your issue on 1. Posture of fall / direction of hit 2. Reduction at time of injury.. simple/ required Anasthesia/ difficult. 3. Any x ray available?
Upload x Ray if available
Refrain from sports activity or loading Shoulder, till advices.
Start with shoulder conditioning exercises under supervision , if  the dislocation recurs then will need surgery , otherwise conservative
If your husband is active in sports that too contact sports, he should get an MRI to evaluate for soft tissue lesions. If not, no need to get an MRI, remove sling and start with strengthening exercises for the shoulder.
Practo Consult directly with me on Practo for detailed discussion on treatment via chat/ audio/ video by the following link:- https://www.practo.com/panchkula/doctor/rohit-malhotra-orthopedist
FIRST TAKE MRI AND CONFIRM WHETHER DUE TO LIGAMENT OR BONE DEFECT AND MANAGE ACCORDINGLY.FOR FURTHER CONSULT WITH ME DIRECTLY THROUGH PRACTO APP
Hello madam where is Doctor Rajeev Munde I am a specialist in Shoulder injuries. If he is a sports person and he had first shoulder dislocation then you should go for MRI to rule out any labrum injury or soft tissue injury or if he is is not a sports person then stars the range of motion shoulder strengthening exercises he will feel better over  the time if if got recurrent shoulder dislocation then you need a MRI otherwise conservative treatment will sufficient.
please consult me through online consultation for more details of treatment. DR RAJEEV MUNDE , PUNE
thank you