HIV and oral sex

One of my friends got indulged in oral sex 5 weeks back with a female. He is worried and tensed about HIV through Oral sex. He didn't do anything else than this. He is not sure whether the lady has this infection or not. And, should he get tested for this activity alone? The information available online is very confusing. Please help - seeking expert doctor advice on this to calm my friend down.

Doctor Answers (3) on HIV and oral sex

Ask him not to panic, as the risk of HIV transmission through oral sex is less compared to peno-vaginal or anal sex. However he should get tested, preferably using early detection tests so that his peace of mind is restored soon and if HIV is detected, necessary early intervention could be planned. It is important that he shoudld go through pre- and post-test counseling, so ask him to visit a center where testing and counseling take place together. Government hospitals house VCTCs (Voluntary Counseling and Testing Centers) for this purpose.
Dr. Hitesh Shah Mumbai | Sexologist
Better to do early detection tests for HIV.
Go to a nearby physician or counselling centre.