Elbow dislocation.

I have had an elbow surgery 4 months ago. But I haven't achieved full range of movement yet. I'm really worried. When I ask my doctor he says it is a slow process and it will take around more than 6 months. He also asked me to stop physiotherapy sessions. He says physio will make my hand stiff and I should exercise the hand on my own by doing normal day to day activities. I have attached my post surgery X Ray. Please guide me. I am very much worried.

Doctor Answers (6) on Elbow dislocation.

Dr. Deepak Tamrakar (PT) Raipur | Sports and Musculoskeletal Physiotherapist
For gaining mobility, flexibility and achive range of motion active movement, load training, muscle stretching is necessory. This misconception that doing physiotherapy will cause stiffness then nobody would like to go for physiotherapy. Consult good physio and discuss your issue.
Saurabh Bhalla Delhi | Occupational Therapist
Thank you for that much of information , and specially the X-Ray. Your Physio is half right and half wrong. WRONG about increasing in the stiffness. Right about discontinuing physio (i your range is somewhere around 0 Degree - 120 degree (that is from straight to elbow bent forming an angle of 120 degrees ) which is 5-10 degrees up from the functional use of elbow . it should not affect your daily activities.(most of them) . normal range which is till 135 degrees flexion, can be achieved by holding the elbow in flexed position for 30 seconds and (normal range + a bit extra (1-2 degree) range (till what you can bear without pain)) and relax for 10 seconds. and continue the same till you are satisfied with the desired normal range.
Do It Yourself or find a better therapist who atleast knows that THERAPY IS FOR NORMALIZING and NOT Enhancing STIFFNESS.
DO NOT OVER STRETCH thinking that you can do it in a day or two, certainly it will take some time about few weeks. but be calm and STAY HEALTHY.
Dr. R Murali Coimbatore | Sports and Musculoskeletal Physiotherapist
Greetings, sorry about your concern.

Always remember after any surgery physiotherapy session is mandatory and do remember elbow is a joint made of 3 bones, hence getting full range of motion is very complex and in your case I fear you may not get full range of motion(your x ray supports it.) also range of motion  depends on how you fractured your elbow and at what angulation. (post your discharge summary for a clear understanding)

Just try physiotherapy assistance and see how much range you can get back.

Do let me know if further assistance is needed.

Dr. Rajiv Mehta Delhi | Physiotherapist
Refering that a Physiotherapist will make ur elbow stiff is considering like taking water will make u thirsty. My dear friend and fellow orthopedician be sure the only way to gain further range is physiotherapy only without electrotherapy of course. Doing self exercises will not be enough as u will not go beyond painful range. Do continue ur physiotherapy. U can consult us through skype on www.physiotherapistdelhi.in
Pankaj Agrawal Ahmedabad | Orthopedic Surgeon
Dear friend I think this has no clear xrays attached.but seems that been done good.follow your doctors advice who operated.he will take care of you...regards dr pankaj agrawal .shoulder knee and joints surgeon Ahmedabad
It is not uncommon to have restriction of movements 4 months after elbow surgery. For how long were you in POP after the surgery ? Physio therapy here basically means exercises, there is no need for electrical therapy. If you are confident of the exercises, then it is best to do them on your own, as only active exercises are recommended, no passive motion should be done. The xray you have posted is not clear, let your doctor opine on it.