Crowning after filling
I have done rct and permanent filling. Is it necessary to do crowning. Any adverse effect if I don't do capping. And how long can I keep the the tooth (wisdom) without capping. Its been more than a month since I did the filling

Dr. Kshitiz Rohilla
Oral Pathologist 11 yrs exp Faridabad

You should go for the cap in as soon as possible as advised by a dentist.... do not try to delay this, otherwise the tooth will have a tendency to fracture if subjected to heavy forces..... the question about the duration that the truth can be kept without a cap is actually absurd.... it is something like asking how much time does it take before I meet with an accident if I drive a two wheeler without a helmet.... Please do not wait for any damage to occur before you take any action because most of the times such damages can be irreparable.... Regards....
Dr. Dragpal Singh Rajput
Dentist 8 yrs exp Pune

There is no option without capping after root canal treatment because tooth is become weak after rct so please go for capping and meanwhile you have avoid hard biting from that side
Dr. Babita Sangwan
Dental Surgeon 14 yrs exp Gurgaon

Putting crown after RCT is very necessary as after the treatment the tooth becomes non vital ( but functional ) and brittle so there are pretty much chances that it may fracture due to biting and chewing forces. If it's already more than a month without cap then you should go for it as soon as possible.
Dr. Suman Makam
Dentist 22 yrs exp Davanagere

Hello, Sir,As an endodontist I would suggest you immediately get the crown done.The percentage of failure for teeth not capped after RCT is very high,as it most likely leads to re-infections/vertical tooth fractures. Regards DR SUMAN MAKAM
Dr. Sanket Mehta
Dentist 12 yrs exp Mumbai

Please crown the tooth ASAP..We have seen so many cases in which after root canal cap was not made for the tooth and on eating hard and sticky stuff the tooth fractures ,although no pain but then we need to extract the tooth and go for other options to replace the tooth.
Dr. Deepika Vadhar
Dentist 21 yrs exp Mumbai

Crown on a RCT treated tooth is essential.  if the damage to your tooth is not much prior to RC wasn't much then you still can get away with it but if  it's considerable (which normally is the case) then you should go for a crown. if crown not Done then it can fracture on eating anything hard or the tooth filling (not the root filling) might disintegrate slowly.. so it's better to crown it.
Dr. Ami Sukhija
Dentist 7 yrs exp Mumbai

I recently wrote an article regarding your query ... have a read it will help u clear your doubts over capping https://www.practo.com/healthfeed/to-crown-or-not-to-crown-that-is-the-question-24687/post
Dr. Vidisha Parashar
Dentist 9 yrs exp Delhi
It doesn't matters which tooth it is wisdom tooth or any other molar. As long as the tooth is being used for chewing you need to get the capping done for years longevity of tooth coz tooth becomes brittle after rct. Get the capping done. Regards Dr Vidisha Parashar Illumident Lighting up your smile
Dr. Sarah DSouza
General Physician 7 yrs exp Mumbai
Just like we protect ourselves against skull fractures by weraing a helmet, a cap protects the tooth from getting fractured post a root canal therapy. The RC treated tooth is usually very brittle owing to lot of destruction of the tooth by decay and further drilling to gain access for treatment. Once a tooth has been treated it will take away your pain. But for long term fucntions like eating to be carried out safely without a risk of fracturing your tooth, a full crown ensures the tooth is protected and the tooth can fucntion for several years.
Dr. Gaurav Gupta
Dentist 15 yrs exp Delhi
Whever an rct is done dentist has to create big hole in tooth so even after filling when you bite on this it creates spitting force on tooth .so your tooth could develop cracks and later on fracture. Go for crown to save for long time.
Capping is required for RCT treated tooth, if u don't go for capping longevity of tooth will be compromised,it may fracture n u may loose the tooth.Visit nearby dentist n go for capping done. thank you.
Dr. Surjeet Kaur
Dentist 15 yrs exp Jalandhar
Capping or crowning of a root canal treated tooth is necessary as if u dont go for one it may fracture and then u will need immidiate extraction of that tooth . Capping will help u in chewing from that side more comfortably but make sure that there is enough space for placing a cap... as wisdom tooth is at the end of the jaw so most of the times we dont get much occlusal space for a cap.
Dr. Vishwajeet T. Dalvi
Dental Surgeon 6 yrs exp Nashik
After root canal your tooth will be non vital/deprived of blood supply and become little bit weak. This is reason why dentist advise to go for root canal followed by coronal coverage ( crown/onlay). In case if you do not do crown,longevity of RC treated tooth is compromised.
Dr. Shailesh Sharma
Dentist 12 yrs exp Delhi
After RCT it is necessary to put crown over tooth, so please get it done. Rct in wisdom is not recommended mostly because of angulation of wisdom tooth  But if u had it already then you should have crown over it.