Cavity in teeth

My son has a black spot in his wisdom tooth. He is 3 yr and 2 month old. I have consulted a dentist but I am not satisfied. As per doc , it need to be feeled in order to protect teeth. My thinking, his teeth itself has grown completely. So why should we drill and fill.Plz suggest

Dr. Arun Kant
Dentist 7 yrs exp Delhi

Hi, wisdom teeth or last 3rd permanent molar tooth only erupt at the age between 16 to 25yrs. So son is having all milk teeth, dont get confused with last erupted tooth snd wisdom tooth. If your dentsit diagnosed black spot as caries or decay, than he rightly suggested you for excavation of that decay part of that particular tooth follwed by filling in that hollow space to repair it to its natural form both in looks and eating prospective. Though it is not required as its a very routine pro edure but even if you are still very cautious, better ask your dentist to call a child specialist MDS dentist, pedodontist to handle child patient more patiently and accurately. Dr. Arun kant, MDS.
Dr. Kunal R Shah
Orthodontist 10 yrs exp Nashik

Hi.. There is no wisdom tooth in children. As the milk tooth which you mentioned is going to be replaced by permanent tooth at the age of 10-11 years and you dont want that black spot to grow larger and your son shall suffer because of that. Thats the reason prevention is better. Thank you.
Dr. M. R. Pujari
Dentist 12 yrs exp Bangalore

Hi.. Wisdom tooth doesn't erupt for a 3 year old. You are talking about molar. Filling with GIC cement is the only best solution. Drilling is done to remove that black colored decay. If we do filling without removing decay then cavity will be still doing its job beneath filling. Regards
Dr. Gautam Agarwal
Dentist 9 yrs exp Delhi
Hi. First of all, the tooth we are talking about is a milk tooth not a wisdom tooth. Your child will lose his milk teeth between 6 to 12 years. So, if this tooth is going to stay that long, you should not let dental decay or cavity untreated for that long. Now for the treatment. Not all black spots need a filling, but if your dentist has advised so you should trust his judgement. Even when a filling is needed, for children minimally invasive fillings are recommended as per latest guidelines. If however, the black spot is a dental cavity, it will require a filling.