Cataract with diabetes

My mom was diagnosed with cataract in April 2015, still not operated. As per her yesterday Blood sugar report Fasting is 188 and PP is 219. She has extreme blurred visibility in her right eye. Doctors of private hospitals says they can do the surgery however Govt hospitals asks her to get the level of Glucose PP down to 100 which is not happening before they can do the surgery. My query is whom to believe, what kind of risks are involved and are the pvt. doctors just wanting to make money and not considering the risks???!!!! FYI my mom is only about 45-49 kgs and controls extensively, does brisk walking, eats karela,neem and what not to bring down the level but just not happening and in turn getting weaker day by day...

Doctor Answers (2) on Cataract with diabetes

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal Sangrur | Ophthalmologist/ Eye Surgeon
Hello
1. Cataract surgery is not recommended in high sugar level as there is increased risk of infection....though with modern surgical techniques and good antibiotic the risk is very less but even then it's not advisable to take avoidable risk...

2. Recommendations by aravind eye institute are ...fasting sugar less than 150mg/dl

3. Cataract is not an emergency..I would recommend you to consult local diabetiologist....and get sugar level under control...before surgery

Dr. Deepa Naik Ghaziabad | Ophthalmologist/ Eye Surgeon
Hi, Cataract surgery is not advisable when diabetes is not controlled especially at sugar levels mentioned by you. Sugar levels need to be in permissible limits for it. Increased sugar levels also affect patients retina leading to diabetic retinopathy and vision impairment. Kindly consult a diabetologist for sugar control . Sometimes exercise and diet are alone not adequate to control diabetes and patient needs medications.