Body shake/jerk sleeping

Hello Doctor, sometime my body jerk or shake while sleeping its usually occurs while falling asleep, its happening from last 6-8 months history: i had breathing problem 3 year ago taken montek lc tablet 1year, still facing sometime breathing problem specially in winters but not taking any medicine from last 2 years

Doctor Answers (2) on Body shake/jerk sleeping

Mostly its stress induced, chk ur body wight, thyroid profile, do relaxation exercise, u wl b all right. Best wishes
What you are experiencing is called sleep jerks or hypnic jerks, also called hypnagogic jerks. This usually happens while in the process of falling asleep. It could be secondary to anxiety, stress, overwork etc. It may become worse if you drink too much of caffeine containing drinks such as coffee or tea, or if you smoke or consume alcohol. The other triggering factor could be the drugs you take for your breathing problem; although I register that you are not taking the medicines nowadays. Another theory put forward is the evolutionary behaviour of lower animals which need to stay alert to protect themselves from falls or attacks from predators, during their sleep. It is believed that the same behavior might have been passed down to humans. Before I give you my suggestion, I would like you to understand that this is a harmless condition. Many normal people also experience this, once in a way. Please try practicing Pranayama regularly. You must first learn the art from a Yoga Master and then practice on your own. Regular Pranayama not only relaxes you but it improves the quality of sleep, and reduces the quantity. It will also improve your breathing problem. Meditation, positive auto-suggestions and Yoga will be additional benefits. Avoid late nights. Sleep well and wake up fully refreshed, you may have no problem. But if you still feel you are not improving despite following the above mentioned suggestions, you may consult a psychiatrist in person. Have a nice day and a good night's sleep.