Ankle twisted

Hi, While running for catching a bus, my ankle got twisted. But some how i managed to reach office. Then i noticed swelling in my ankle, it is difficult to walk.but now swelling is reduced a little. I dont know what to do next. I have not done any spray or medication or any type of treatment on my ankle. Please guide me. Thanks Uploaded two pics. The pic in jeans is of when i reached office. Other pic is of after 20 hours time spent.

Doctor Answers (1) on Ankle twisted

Thanks for asking me to respond. That's the typical appearance of a ankle sprain resulting from lateral ligament tear. Normally these injuries heal very well. At the moment you need to rest the ankle, ice the area, keep the leg elevated over pillows. Applying a compression bandage over the ankle will also help reduce the swelling. If you are able to walk within two days without perceiving pain, there should be rapid recovery there on. If you have a lot of pain in putting your foot down then it would be ideal to visit the nearest ortho surgeon. Net may order xrays to rule out bony injuries. He may also prescribe meds to keep the pain and swelling under control. Wearing a boot can help in rapid recovery from the injury while providing adequate rest to the ankle region. With a boot you will be able to walk so returning to work well be easier as well. I cannot prescribe meds as Practo prohibits me from doing so. Good luck!