Underweight

Hello doctor I am very thin and want to increase my weight. I am drinking Mass gaining powders and eating vegetables daily and meat two times a week.But my belly is increasing but shoulders and biceps are not increasing what to do please suggest me.

Dr. Swapan Banerjee
Dietitian/Nutritionist 22 yrs exp Kolkata

Hi -welcome - You should make balanced all. Take protein with carbs not merely mass gainers which are may not be safe or improper to gain. Aslo remember you need high calorie by good carbs enriched with protien ecen can add protein supplement like ENSURE/ B-Protien with mill/ lukewarm water. Also do some dynamic works,normal working not but one place activities.
Hi.try to eat skinned out boiled chicken 1-2 pieces twice a week, fish curry not fish fry as it is rich in vitamins, eat fresh raw sprouts everyday twice, include berries and fresh fruits and vegetables like avocado,pears, apples, citrus fruits,papaya,guava,carrots, tomatoes all this things are rich in fibres and vitamins. Your morning diet should include whole egg and a glass of milk, if possible nuts like almond, walnut, peanuts etc try to repeat this in the evening also. Include green leafy vegetables in your diet. Milk products like chesse,panner etc and meat can help you gain weight but since they contribute more towards fat and you need proteins instead of fat to build your body mass try to avoid it. Drink plenty of water and stay hydrated. Do daily brisk walking, cycling for 5-6kms,yoga and meditation.if possible go for a trekking or join some rock climbing classes if such a facility is available in your place or try to do swimming for 30-40 mins and do it on a regular basis which will help you in developing stamina and strength.if you are not satisfied kindly consult a dietician