Shouting in sleep

My wife sometimes talks in her sleep, which never mattered much as it was rare and quiet but sometimes she starts shouting in her sleep not realising how loud she gets and having no clue about it when I wake her up. It's not very frequent but happens about once a blue moon. She mostly talks/shouts while in her REM sleep as I have noticed her eye movement suggesting she might be dreaming but I still need a doctor's opinion on this. Is it something I should be concerned about? Or is there anything you'd recommend to reduce such events.?

Dr. Antara Gupta
Neuropsychiatrist 12 yrs exp Aligarh

It is not nightmare. She is suffering from night terrors. If her mood is normal during the day ..she needs no antidepressants.  She can be managed with clonazepam 0.25 to 0.5 at bedtime.
Dr. Udayan Bhaumik
Psychiatrist 2 yrs exp Udupi

It is likely to be a nightmare as you have described.You can start her on Tablet Pexep CR at 25mg for 1 month and see the response.There is no cause for undue worry.
Ms. SnehaJanaki Ramesh
Psychologist 2 yrs exp Mumbai
Hello. I can see that you are concerned about your wife. You could have a conversation with your wife , relaying your concerns and trying to explore if she is having any worries/ stresses that are manifesting in this behaviour. Medication may not be necessary as you have mentioned that this behaviour doesn't occur very often. If the intensity increases or causes you extreme worry , do seek the help of a mental health professional.