Shin splints

Hi , my name is Kanwar Singh .I play football and practice twice a day regularly with a rest day (Sunday). I suffer from shin splints . I feel a lot of pain in my shins. My coach says rest is only way to cure it and it does . 'It's cured within 2 weeks of rest. But it's a lot of time for me . I don't want to rest for so long. So please tell me what to do. How to cure shin splints ? And what are ways in which we can cure and prevent shin splints ? Thanks a lot.

Doctor Answers (1) on Shin splints

Dr. Arunabha Das Darjeeling | General Physician
Shin splints is also known as medial tibial stress syndrome medically. It occurs due to various important underlying causes:- 1) OVERUSE OF YOUR LEG MUSCLES, 2) FLAT FEET DUE to collapse of longitudinal arch of feet on impact. 3) Very Thin STRESS FRACTURE in lower end of bones due to overburden of leg bones. 4) Weakness of muscles stabilizing hip and knee joints. The most important matters of concern are flat feet and stress fracture. Stress fracture may be detected by digital x-ray of your concerned leg. Treatment should be done by orthopaedician for stress fracture. Wear shoes with extra medial support or special shoe inserts, orthoses. This will help your running form by reducing pronation and may reduce risk of shin splints injury. If this doesnot help,than consult any podiatrist in higher centre. You should also concentrate on strenthening your hip muscles and foot muscles. If your weight is heavy,than you may reduce some weight too. Lastly, if your muscles is overstressed due to over practice of football,than avoid it. 1) You should practice only once daily intensely in evening and apply ice pack over shin and foot muscles. In morning,you should begin with warm up and strenthening exercises once daily. You may skip full regimen once or twice weekly at equal intervals. Treatment includes Tab. Shelcal 500mg 1tab once daily for 1mnth. Cap. Revital 1cap once daily for 1month.