Severe stomach pain
My elder brother is suffering from severe stomach pain since 3 days the doctor advised for ultrasound. After ultrasound i came to know that there are some stones in right kidney(size 24*10 mm) and doctor asked for IVP test When IVP test result came when he consulted the doctor he said right kidney is not functioning. I am very worried right now he never smoked and never consume alcohol. since last 6 month he had problem of high BP and swelling in leg below part. I want to ask what were the causes for this kidney problem? what should be done in future ? what is the cost for removing right kidney and what will be the consequences when he will have only one functioning kidney? Please suggest how there should not be condition for removing right kidney.. Please help

Dr. Anirudh Agrawal
General Physician 26 yrs exp Delhi
The kidney had probably shut due to the high BP for a long period which has probably damaged both the kidneys. The hypertensive nephropathy is probably the cause for oedema (swelling) in the legs. There are only a few conditions where removal of the kidney is indicated. How old is your brother ? What are his kidney function test results ? Need to know more details.