Schizophernia

Is Schizophernia hereditary? My friend's mother-in-law is schizophernic and she was severly affected when she was in her 40's and 50's. Now she is 67 and is bit stable. My friend heard that schizophernia is hereditary and has this doubt if there is a chance that the condition might get passed on to the next generation, even though her husband and she are perfectly normal?

Doctor Answers (4) on Schizophernia

Dr. Sonia Malhotra Pune | Psychiatrist
Dear mam,
It is a great gesture on your part what you are doing for your friend. Let me answer your question with facts:
1. Schizophrenia is 0.2-0.3% heritable from second degree relatives (grandparents), which i believe is too small a risk to consider while planning a baby. (This much risk of anomaly is even there in a normal delivery).
2. But still, what is important is that compared to normal population, we will still have to ensure that this child gets a healthy environment and balanced parenting to grow in. (Every child does!)
3. During pregnancy, if the mother eats healthy food, does light exercises, remains happy and reads good books, the baby is likely to be of easy temperament which will ensure mental fitness.

Hence, your friend must go ahead and carry on her life and plan her future with lots of positivity and hope.

Pls feel free to consult me privately if you wish.
Regards!

Dr. Lakshmi T Rajan Chennai | Counselling Psychologist
Dear friend,
Thoughts make lives.
So, keep your thinking positive. Follow yoga and meditation.
Wishes
Dr. Ajay Nihalani Ghaziabad | Neuropsychiatrist
Agree with Dr Halakat....
To add further
Even if there's a risk so what?
There is risk of accident n even death if u drive.
There is risk of sure death if u fly.
If a parent has diabetes means there is a risk in children so what?
What is important is to be aware of the risks in an informed n realistic manner n not catastrophise n makes ones n others life difficult.
Dr. Survesh Kumar Laxman Halakatti Udupi | Addiction Psychiatrist
Hi a simple and straight forward answer would be YES Schizophrenia can be passed through genes , but this is not the complete truth . There is always a nature and nurture equation which decides the outcome . The genes only make the person susceptible to the condition but does not definitively predict the occurrence of disease/ condition . Environmental factors including stress , lifestyle use of cannabis etc also contribute . The susceptibility of the child / offspring to Schizophrenia is more if both the parents have Schizophrenia or if one of the twin has Schizophrenia . Thank you .