Psychiatrist/Psychologist

I'm almost every mental health related questions psychologists have been recommending visiting psychologists and psychiatrists have been telling to visit psychiatrist. This confuses the patients. So my question is- When to visit only a psychologist and when to visit only a psychiatrist?

Doctor Answers (3) on Psychiatrist/Psychologist

Ms. Hema Sampath Bangalore | Clinical Psychologist
1.There are certain issues related to our behaviour could be due to the atmosphere OR circumstances situations or people. It's the perspective os the person which he relates I as a problem.
If the person knows to understand and motivated to accept and move on in life,  what else do u think you require to lead a happy life?!!!!!
This is normally  done by a Psychologist.
2. There are certain  problems like a schizophrenic and other problems which needs an amount of medication too along with counselling.  There comes the imposed a Psychiatrist.
Dr. Sonia Malhotra Pune | Psychiatrist
Thankyou sir for this opportunity to clarify the difference.
1. When you have a mental health issue, you meet a psychiatrist who assesses in detail, diagnoses, plans a line of treatment and treats a patient with medicines and decides if psychotherapy is needed.
2. Then a psychologist customizes the psychotherapy as per patients needs. Psychologists also do neuropsychological testing and counselling. They are not licensed to prescribe drugs.
It is like relationship of "orthopedic and physiotherapist".
For the best management of patient, both are equally important!
Dr. Suleman Virani Nagpur | Psychiatrist
The information you hv given is incomplete. Plz elaborate me about your few problems so that I can guide you.