cancer-icon

Problem of cancer surgery

2 months back my father had a cancer surgery of mouth as he use to chew tabacco after surgery again few days back he was given stiches by doctor to close . Nw he is worried will that cancer totally finished or again it will come. I want to know after surgery

Doctor Answers (2) on Problem of cancer surgery

Dr. Jagadesan Pandjatcharam Puducherry | Radiation Oncologist
Hi, cancer of the mouth is highly prone to come back if your father report shows one of the following-
1. size》4cm
2. nearby bone or cartilage or skeletal muscle is involved.
3. some cancer tissue is left out during surgery.

Your surgeon would have checked the tissue histopathology report (should be reported from a centre which sees only cancer patients) to look for all of the abovesaid findings and then probably told you not to worry.
But if any findings are present in your father's report, then he has to receive radiation to his mouth and neck to reduce the high chance of recurrence (coming back) of his cancer.
Nice, Bye

Dr. Chethan R S Bangalore | General Physician
Hi, it depends upon the staging of the cancer. For distant spread it may reoccur in future...