cancer-icon
Could i have cancer?
My mother had been diagnosed with breast cancer and got her breast surgically removed. A year later she was diagnosed with bone marrow cancer and then she could not be saved. No cancer history in family before this. Do I need to go for a early checkup ? Should I worry that I might have cancer too in coming years.?

Dr. Jagadesan Pandjatcharam
Radiation Oncologist 7 yrs exp Puducherry
The best way to check for breast cancer (technically called as screening) is to test for abnormal "BRCA" gene. But it is costly and not easily available commercially. So the alternative approach is to get a mammogram(breast xray) test done annually once to look for development of any abnormality. There is higher chance of getting breast cancer only if two of your close relatives (siblings/mother/aunt) have such cancer. Generally, a mother diagnosed of breast cancer doesnt pose a risk of cancer in her children in 90% of the cases. So rest assured in them.