ParacentralDisc extrusion

A week back I had a severe pain in my lower back. I consulted an Orthopaedist and was advised Vitamin D test and MRI. My Vitamin level is in the Insufficiency range(13.7 ng/ml). Also in the MRI it was identified that, "A right paracentral disc extrusion at L1-2 level causing moderate anterior right lateral thecal compression, obliteration of right lateral recess with probable nerve root compression.". The doctor has given me medicines including Vitamin D, Calcium, Omega 3 and Neugaba M 75. He has also stated that I need to undergo a surgery (involving a team of Doctor's including Neuro Sergeons) where the extrusion would be removed from my spine. Since this is a very major surgery (and costly too), I wish to take a second opinion that can this be avoided and if yes what is the alternate remedy?

Doctor Answers (1) on ParacentralDisc extrusion

There are three causes of Back Pain 1. Compression 2. Instability 3. Other causes Of these, the first two require surgery The third can be managed by other means In your case, you state that "anterior right lateral thecal compression, obliteration of right lateral recess with probable nerve root compression" Now You can try STRICT BED REST for 12 weeks. By STRICT, it means that, you have to lie down in bed for 23 hours 30 minutes every day (except for brushing teeth, bath, toilet,eating) If the pain is relieved, you can defer surgery Else Surgery may be needed