Pain in wisdom tooth

My wisdom tooth gives me pain every now and then. There is some swelling on the top skin at times as well. I don't want an extraction.
views-icons 73 Views 1 Share Bookmark this Answer

Dr. Anish Goyal
Dentist 6 yrs exp Gurgaon
sometimes your wisdom tooth does not erupt fully in oral cavity...the skin over the tooth comes in contact with other tooth and causes inflammation and pain...Best treatment for such cases is to go for extraction of wisdom tooth as this tooth is of no use..Also if we see evolutionary trends this tooth is missing in younger individuals... to prevent inflammation to have keep that area clean...Use warm saline mouth rinses and u can go for removal of that flap with Lasers which causes virtually no pain....
Dr. Kapil Kalra
Dentist 11 yrs exp Gurgaon
Removal of the tissue over wisdom tooth can be done,which is called operculectomy.cuspal grinding of upper opposite tooth is also an option which depends on case to case. operculectomy can be done but problem with operculectomy is the recurrence ,tissue grows back after some time its better to visit the dentist,get the x ray done and follow the advise.position of the wisdom tooth is which matters most in such cases,your dentist will decide accordingly
Dr. Kavita Narang
Dental Surgeon 11 yrs exp Gurgaon
Recurrent pain and swelling in wisdom tooth is caused by infection of the tissue on top tooth. This tissue that remains on top surface of  tooth after eruption is called as operculum. It forms a pocket in which food debris collect and are difficult to clean. It can also become inflammed from biting trauma from opposing tooth. There is a procedure called operculectomy in which this ' extra ' tissue is removed under local anaesthesia. Extraction can be avoided if your tooth is erupted in normal position.