Pain in the knee area

I have been running for over a year now, recently I switched to running on roads. It has been just a week but i feel a great pain in upper right part of right knee. It hurts a lot after running (not during). I really want to carry on with my running. Please suggest something so that i won't have to stop it.

Doctor Answers (2) on Pain in the knee area

Dr. Raviraj Francis Mumbai | Physiotherapist
Hello there.... well its good to know you are into running very few individuals pursue that hobby in our country....so congrats to you for that...well yes certain activities do place a strain on our musculoskeletal system.... the fact that you said that the pain comes to the knee after the running makes a strong case for patellofemoral pain syndrom or in common terms we call runnera knee..... i need a little bit of your history before advising you. 1)your occoupation 2)distance you cover while running 3)any previous injury trauma to knee 4)footwear you use while running 5)when you started running on road was it uphill/downhill. .... jogging track? Do resort back to me with the answers ....and i will give you a detailed rehab programme..if the diagnosis is correct. Regards Take care.
Harisha N L Bangalore | General Physician
Now the issue is the Stiffness and tightness can be described by this quite well and if this is worsening then it means you need to cut back on the duration or intensity of your running to bring this under control for the time being. You might be stressing the knee joint more than it is ready for....it can also be due to knee ligaments injury... Consult nearest orthopedic surgeon they will do the needful.