Pain in right leg

I have pain which runs from my lower back to right leg. I could feel my leg going numb and I feel difficulty in standing. It started about a week ago. I could feel pain at a point on my right hip and it feels to be the starting point of the pain.

Doctor Answers (7) on Pain in right leg

Dr. Gireesh Kant Snehi Gurgaon | Physiotherapist
Agreed with Dr neeraz and Dr sandip
You need proper medication and strenghtening of your spine or back muscle which will give you long term care.
Along with medication physiotherapy will help you for quick recovery. It's nerve compression coming from back.
Dr. Priyanka Bhati Faridabad | Physiotherapist
Dear friend
Please visit a good orthopedic doctor for proper investigation and diagnosis before doing anything by your own.
As there may be something wrong with your lower back as you describe the pain.
Dr. Siddhartha Ghosh Mumbai | Joint Replacement Surgeon
U need to see ortgopedic surgeon or sine surgeon for sure. Pain radiatingto limbs arising from back for 15 days suggest prolapsed intervertebral disc causing nerve root compression which leads to weakness of supplied muscles and numbness of the skin in the area supplied by same nerve root. Dont wait till the weakness and complete irreversible numbness sets in.
Dr. Vandana Chauhan (PT) Noida | Physiotherapist
This pain in the leg is due to the compression of the nerve in the spinal area which leads to numbness, tingling or heaviness in the leg, known as sciatica. The pain in the hip region is the area from where the nerve passes or the route of the nerve. You may have excruciating pain in the hip or any exaggeration of pain on sneezing and coughing. You should go to a physiotherapist to get it diagnosed as it can be due to the compression of the nerve by the disc of the lumbar spine or any other spinal vertebral problem. But immediate action will help you to avoid surgery and fast relief.
In physiotherapy, Ultrasonic therapy+IFT+SWD+traction(if required depending on the assessment) will bw helpful along with some spinal exercises.
Take bed rest for 5 days, no exertion, no weight lifting, no cold exposure, no forward bending, no stair climbing and no prolonged travelling+sitting+standing. use firm mattress and lumbosacral belt (if required)
The pain you describe seems to be originating from the spine and not hip even though you feel so.. Majorly it seems to be a disc compressing the nerve of your right leg. At your age it is uncommon until comes with a history of lifting heavy weight or an injury. Restraint yourself from lifting heavy weight, heavy workout for abs and bending your spine. Physical examination is important for the right guidance for treatment. Visit your nearest orthopaedic consultant or a physio near your area.
Dr. Vishwas Virmani Noida | Physiotherapist
Core Strengthening Exercise- Straight Leg Raised With Toes Turned Outward, repeat 10 times, twice a day. Hams Stretching- lie straight, take the leg up, pull the feet towards yourself, with a elastic tube or normal belt. repeat 10 times, twice a day. Quadriceps Exercises- Lie straight, make a towel role and put it under the knee, press the knee against the role, hold it for 20 secs. Repeat 20 times twice a day. This will help relieve some pain
Piriformis Stretch 1. Lie on your back. ... 2. Cross your left leg over your right so that your left ankle rests on your right knee. 3. Use your hands to grab hold of your left knee and pull it gently toward the opposite shoulder. ... 4. Hold for 15 to 30 seconds. 5. Relax, and then repeat with the other leg. 6. Repeat this cycle 2 to 4 times.
The symptom which you have described is called sciatica and is an early sign of slip disc
If the numbness is increasing on standing and walking it is an urgent matter and I would suggest to have yourself checked up with a local Orthopaedic doctor as soon as possible remember 90% patients can become alright even if you have a slip disc without surgery if detected early and taken treatment early so I wish you all the best for your recovery