Osteoarthritis

Hi Doc... I have a knee diagnosis of 'meniscus tear' and the orthopaedic told to have a surgery to remove the torn meniscus... I was Diagnosed before 4 months, and due to date issues I couldn't have a surgery yet... Does leaving a torn meniscus for long time like 5-6 months cause 'ARTHRITIS' in knee . I still have date issues and I am thinking of having a meniscus surgery after 2-3 months...(after my exams) I have a normal lifestyle ,I walk a lot... Does Leaving a 'TORN MENISCUS' inside the knee cause any damage to 'ARTICULAR CARTILAGE'...leading to Arthritis...???

Dr. Vishwas Virmani (PT)
Physiotherapist 20 yrs exp Noida

Core Strengthening Exercise- Straight Leg Raised With Toes Turned Outward, repeat 10 times, twice a day. Hams Stretching- lie straight, take the leg up, pull the feet towards yourself, with a elastic tube or normal belt. repeat 10 times, twice a day. Quadriceps Exercises- Lie straight, make a towel role and put it under the knee, press the knee against the role, hold it for 20 secs. Repeat 20 times twice a day. This will help relieve some pain.

Hello there..... The treatment of a meniscus tear depends on its severity, location, and underlying disease within the knee joint. Patient circumstances also may affect the treatment options. Often it is possible to treat meniscus tears conservatively without an operation using anti-inflammatory medications and physical therapy rehabilitation to strengthen muscles around the knee to prevent joint instability.....